✍️Oscars 2024: ‘To Kill a Tiger’ India-based Documentary Earns Best Documentary Feature Nomination✍️
The 96th Academy Awards have brought recognition to the India-based documentary feature ‘To Kill a Tiger’ by nominating it in the Best Documentary Feature category. Directed by Nisha Pahuja, who originates from Delhi and is currently based in Toronto, the film chronicles Ranjit’s relentless pursuit of justice after his daughter was sexually assaulted by three men. The documentary has also garnered acclaim for its poignant depiction of social justice and resilience.
The gripping Official Synopsis of the film reads, ‘Ranjit goes to the police, and the men are arrested. But Ranjit’s relief is short-lived, as the villagers and their leaders launch a sustained campaign to force the family to drop the charges. A cinematic documentary, To Kill a Tiger, follows Ranjit’s uphill battle to find justice for his child.’ The documentary has been produced by Cornelia Principe and David Oppenheim.
The film previously received the Amplify Voices Award for Best Canadian Feature Film at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival, solidifying its impact on the global stage.
In addition to ‘To Kill a Tiger,’ other notable nominees in the Best Documentary Feature category are ‘Bobi Wine: The People’s President,’ ‘The Eternal Memory,’ ‘Four Daughters,’ and ‘20 Days in Mariupol.’
✍️Other Major Nominations & Online Reception✍️
At the Oscars 2024, anticipation is high for films such as Greta Gerwig’s ‘Barbie,’ Christopher Nolan’s ‘Oppenheimer,’ and Martin Scorsese’s ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ which are contenders for top awards.
However, there has been some online discontent over the absence of Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig from the nominations for their work on ‘Barbie.’ The nomination of Ryan Gosling has sparked criticism, especially in light of Robbie’s lack of recognition in the Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress categories.
Gosling secured a nod for Best Supporting Actor, and the song ‘I’m Just Ken,’ which he performed, was nominated for Best Original Song. Conversely, America Ferrera, another star of ‘Barbie,’ earned a nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
✍️When and Where to Watch the Oscars✍️
The 96th Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, will take place on March 10 at 7 pm in the US (around 5:30 am in India on Monday). For those eagerly awaiting the event, the Oscars promise to be a celebration of outstanding cinematic achievements and a showcase of the world’s finest filmmaking talent.
Stay tuned for a night of glitz and glamour, as the film industry comes together to honor the best in cinema.
1. ✍️Who is the director of the documentary ‘To Kill a Tiger’?✍️
– The documentary is directed by Nisha Pahuja, who is originally from Delhi and currently based in Toronto.
2. ✍️What is the official synopsis of ‘To Kill a Tiger’?✍️
– The official synopsis describes the documentary’s focus on Ranjit’s fight for justice after his daughter was sexually assaulted by three men and follows his uphill battle to find justice for his child.
3. ✍️What are some of the other major nominations at the Oscars 2024?✍️
– Highly anticipated films such as ‘Barbie,’ ‘Oppenheimer,’ and ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ have received nominations for top awards.
4. ✍️When and where will the Oscars 2024 be held?✍️
– The 96th Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, will take place on March 10 at 7 pm in the US (around 5:30 am in India on Monday).
The recognition of ‘To Kill a Tiger’ at the Oscars is not only a testament to its compelling storytelling but also to the global impact of Indian filmmaking. As the anticipation builds for the 96th Academy Awards, cinema enthusiasts and industry insiders await an evening of celebration and accolades for outstanding cinematic achievements.